Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Help Me To Hold My Peace


Dear God,

At times when another person hurts the feelings of my DS or DD, I simply do not want to have understanding. Especially if this person is a member or relative of DH's family, I feel that I have every right to have hard feelings toward this person. I want to take care of it myself. The anger feels good.

I want to rant and rave, and tell my children what a big, rotten person this certain family member is. But Your Word says we are to return cursing with a blessing... Just like Jesus treated those who beat him and put Him to death, I am to forgive those who mistreat my children.

Lord, this is really so hard! I know I have to place them in Your hands, but I don't want to. Please give me A LOT of strength, grace and ability to hold my peace and show my DS and DD the proper, acceptable behavior. Please grant me understanding, and help me to see that person through Your very eyes.

When the righteous prosper, the city rejoices;
when the wicked perish, there are shouts of joy.
Proverbs 11:10

2 comments:

  1. Anne, I know how hard this struggle is. I struggle with it as well, but what do you do when it's your own mother? I'm having to pray for the unforgiveness I feel and give it up to the Judge who truly has a right to judge. Hard to do, something I continue to struggle with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Michelle, I know how hard that is for you, and I am praying with you so God will help us overcome situations like that. I experience a lot of difficult and painful moments myself, when family members are too much, and become a handful. It is hard too on my part, because in my country, culture and tradition dictates that families should be closely knit, and even extended families are like part of everyday life. To give you an example: husband and wife and kids go see the in-laws every Sunday (like clockwork) for lunch or dinner, etc... and that includes seeing sisters in law and brothers in law who aren't always in your favorites list... oh, you get the picture... I do not really always agree with that, and that is perhaps because I come from a small family who does not impose too many things on one another. Truthfully and without biases, my mom is a great mom in law, and does not make too many demands on time.

    Let's pray and encourage one another as we go through this. And ask God for grace and strength to help us let Him handle it Himself.

    God bless. :)

    ReplyDelete