Friday, September 24, 2010

Compassion For The Poor


Dear God,

Every year, as the Christmas season approaches, a growing number of people, or establishments would ask for donations for the poor. Sometimes, support also comes from the church and various religious organizations.

Sometimes I become a bit doubtful especially when I am bombarded by those who "solicit" left and right. Please help me not to feel and think that way. It is true that I cannot give to each and every cause, or to all people who need my help. It is also a known fact nowadays, that not all causes or charity drives are legitimate. So by that I need Your wisdom and discernment to know what my part should be.

I do not want to be judgmental no matter how tempted I am to be, but sometimes it seems the very cause of poverty is laziness on the part of the parents, which eventually results to suffering in the family. Lord, help me not to add up to a poor child's suffering by thinking more of his or her parents' neglect and less of that child's need. After all, I wouldn't want that for my DS and DD.

I ask for a compassionate and discerning heart in knowing how much to give to others; add to that blessings from You, to be a blessing to others too. Thank You, Lord.

Blessed is he who has regard for the weak;
the Lord delivers him in times of trouble.
Psalm 41:1

No comments:

Post a Comment