Friday, September 17, 2010

Teaching How To Forgive


Dear God,

My quiet time verse for today is a very popular one, perhaps especially to children. I also remember it is one of the very first ones I've learned to memorize when I became a Christian and started reading the Bible. But I've also noticed that oftentimes, the verse is used to talk about kindness alone. The other virtues listed -- compassion and forgiveness -- are usually overlooked.

I know that when kids are young and not being mature yet in heart and mind, it is important for us adults to "break" things or ideas down in order for them to fully understand and grasp certain truths like so. Being DS and DD's Mom, I pray that I will not forget or neglect to teach them each concept of Your Word, no matter how old they are. DS is already quite a few years away from becoming a teen, and DD is a little lady, being only 8 years old, but still, I believe that they need to be reminded and taught of every truth behind Your Words.

Father, I know that You will give me plenty of golden opportunities to help my children understand kindness, compassion, and -- in a home with two kids who are uniquely dfferent from one another -- forgiveness. I have learned from experience that forgiveness is one of the greatest kindnesses a person could thoughtfully offer.

Be kind and compassionate to one another,
forgiving each other,
just as in Christ God forgave you.
Ephesians 4:32

No comments:

Post a Comment