Friday, December 18, 2009

Help Me To Understand The Sunset Years


Dear God,

I admit that there are times when I get impatient with elderly people. They are stubborn, sometimes a bit pesky and annoying, hard of hearing, grumpy, to name a few. I don't stop to wonder why, but I forget how much You also love them.

Also, it's not that I don't care about them, but I just don't like the idea of being somewhat inconvenienced by them in my life of busyness. A little old lady close to my DH is a 100+ years old, and she lives beside our house -- she is my DH's grandma. And our children's great grandmother. Most of the time, as I get in the car parked in our garage, I can see her through her window and I just couldn't bear the thought or sight of her growing old everyday, getting more and more senile, frail, and helpless... She has her round of midwives to look after her morning and night, and is surrounded by love from family members, but in truth, I feel like I don't really want to be in her shoes...

Lord, please help me determine to put myself in her place, to feel the loneliness and the aches and pains that come from aging, as their bodies wear out. Please give me compassion and love, so that I can show them the respect they need, and because I also know that my own parents, and even I, will be there someday...

When I grow old, I want my DS and DD to respect and love me. By my ways and actions towards other people, I am always teaching -- either respect, or disrespect. Please help me Lord, because I want to set the right example for my kids as I honor older people.

Rise in the presence of the aged,
show respect for the elderly and revere your God.
I am the LORD.
Leviticus 19:32

No comments:

Post a Comment