Tuesday, May 18, 2010

♥♥ Happy Birthday Mom ♥♥


Today is my dearest Mom's birthday; or Lola L (Grandma L), as my DS and DD would affectionately call her. Whatever I am today, I owe it to her...

I thank the Lord for giving me a Mom like her. Mommy is not a typical Mommy who would sew and mend buttons or tears. She wasn't really a great help in my school's home economics projects, or good in putting intricate things together. But she is excellent in all other things, and an artist in her own right.

She was a working mother. She is up to this day. I thank God for her because despite all odds, she was able to raise me as a decent person. It was a tough thing to do, but because she is a strong woman, I remember always taking my meals warm, tasty, inviting, and always on time. She was a good cook, and knows her way in the kitchen.

Growing up, we've had our share of arguments. But God has a way of changing things for the better. I learned to appreciate and love her more when I became a mother myself. Mommy never stopped being a mommy. She was always there, even during the times when distance and personal choices made it difficult for us to look in the same direction. She had her ways, and I had mine. But always, I end up loving her more, and needing her more, even if I am a grown up.

Mommy is a tall woman. Not the tall 6 footer kind, but tall in mind and spirit. Apart from God, she is an anchor that I would always hold on to when things go wrong. She is like a beacon of light when dark times last, and when things go awry.

So today, as we rejoice and celebrate her natal day, I want to honor and bless her even if she is millions of miles away from me. I pray for her well being as I write down my thoughts here, and wish her good health and a long, fulfilled life to enjoy the relationships she hold dear in her heart. She is the sweetest Lola (Grandma) to my kids, and never mind if she spoils them rotten. It's what makes her happy too, I know.

My Mommy is not only my Mother.

She is my Mom.

A mother is the truest friend we have,
when trials heavy and sudden, fall upon us;
when adversity takes the place of prosperity;
when friends who rejoice with us in our sunshine desert us;
when trouble thickens around us, still will she cling to us,
and endeavor by her kind precepts and counsels to dissipate the clouds of darkness, and cause peace to return to our hearts.
~Washington Irving


2 comments:

  1. I was browsing your older post and found this beautiful tribute for your mom.
    I was on a trip at the time you posted this so that's how I missed it.
    Thanks for sharing this precious picture. I feel like I know you more after reading this. You have a beautiful family and you are a beautiful person.
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks much for your kind words, Ruth. It's the only thing I could give her that has my heart stamped on it. :) The month of May was also her birthday, so it made Mother's Day more special.

    Oh, I miss my Mom (in NJ), and the time she spends with the kids most especially... God has a beautiful way on how to make us ladies become better persons, isn't it --- he made us Moms too. :)

    ReplyDelete