Friday, March 18, 2011

Being Happy Through Perseverance


Dear God,

Whining all day. That's all I ever seem to do. I'm pretty sure You get tired of me never being satisfied on so many things. When things are going well, I complain about not getting the right amount of spiritual growth in my life. Or worse, about not getting more of the good fortune. And when things are going wrong, I complain about the trial. Oftentimes I think about how You can still love me when I am so weak and impatient to be more like You each day.

Today, I was cranky and unpleasant to DS and DD. Both of them were sort of whining because they wanted their own way on something. I clearly saw myself reflected in both of them. Then I remembered Your prophets and soon realized how my very own troubles are nothing compared to others.

Please make my complaining heart still, Lord. Fill me instead with rejoicing. You are refining me each day, I know, and I want to teach my children patience by my own example. Give me the strength I need for this task, God.

As you know, we consider blessed
those who have persevered.
You have heard of Job's perseverance
and have seen what the Lord finally brought about.
The Lord is full of compassion and mercy.
James 5:11

No comments:

Post a Comment