Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Help Me To Be Meek


Dear God,

I believe that You offer a wonderful reward for meekness; but to be honest, I do not know, much less understand, what meekness is. To me, it sounds like it goes over and above so many other character traits like patience, graciousness, gentleness, and many more. But once, I have heard from somewhere that meekness is not weakness. It is strength under control. Restraint. All of these traits seem to fit into the category of gentle strength. I fondly remember using those words 13 years ago, when I was in my own bridal shower, and was asked by one of the ladies to describe my husband-to-be. I described him in only two short words…

Over the years that went by, DH still lives up to that kind of strength. And between the two of us who are Your creations, Lord, You know well that I am the one who needs to be tempered most often… Funny that after all these years, those very words are brought back to me by You! This time, the words, “gentle strength” mean so much more to me now that I am a mother.

In my heart, I know that meekness is really the kind of strength I need as a Mom, isn’t it, Lord? So that I can be strong enough to discipline my DS and DD with love and firmness. If I show them gentle strength, I will be able to help them both as they face sorrow and disappointment, which is inevitable in this life. I do not want a cruel Mom, who displays an angry strength that frightens and intimidates…

Please show me, Lord, how to understand meekness and to have this Spirit-controlled, strength. So that I may be able to show my children what it is like to be truly strong.

The LORD sustains the humble
but casts the wicked to the ground.
Psalm 147:6

No comments:

Post a Comment