Wednesday, November 18, 2009

On Being Gentle and Patient


Dear God,

They say that gentleness and patience go together. And you know that I am not by nature, a patient person. It's just not one of my virtues (okay, am working hard at it, Lord), so that leaves me with gentleness in question. If there is one thing that children -- particulary my DS and DD need, it's a gentle Mom. They need (and deserve) to be assured by soft, kind words, and easy handling. I know that regardless of what they do and no matter what the surrounding circumstances are, they should know they are loved by me and DH.

Lord, I've read it from dozens of books, and heard it from my spiritual mentors who helped shape me into being the Christian Mom I am today, that harsh and unkind words break down self-confidence and harm a child's feelings of being important and worthwhile. And I also know that it is what You envision every parent to keep in mind too. So please help me not to be responsible for that kind of destruction in the lives of my DS and DD. Sometimes, especially when things get haywire around the house, I am tempted to say things which should not be...

Please always guide me, and remind me how to gently and patiently teach my DS and DD, to discipline them without anger, and most of all to love them no matter what. I want to give them confidence in who they are and what they can do for You someday, to encourage and build them up rather than tear them down. Thank You Lord, for the conviction that You have planted in my heart to always remember these things.

And the Lord's servant must not quarrel;
instead, he must be kind to everyone,
able to teach, not resentful.
2 Timothy 2:24

No comments:

Post a Comment