Thursday, December 31, 2009

Please Give Me Self-Control


Dear God,

Everytime I see or hear the word "self-control", I always think of it as being the opposite of having a temper. Even though it might be true as I understand it, I also know that there is something else much more involved in that.

Like for example, when I want to have a few minutes to finish or accomplish something important, it's so easy for me to give in to my children's pleas for treats (food, or perhaps a little material gift) -- even if they have refused to obey me in something I want them to do asap ("Take a bath now!"). I realize that it is a bad idea because it teaches them too many negative lessons -- like the lesson that I have no self-control, and their knowledge that if they pester me long enough, I'll surely give in, and they'll have their way. Sorry God, I know that is so wrong...

I know You won't give in and let me have something harmful just because I have asked for it, Lord. So please help me have enough self-control to use good judgment and make the right, careful choices especially when it comes to dealing with my DS and DD.

Rather, clothe yourselves with the Lord Jesus Christ,
and do not think about how to gratify the desires of the sinful nature.
Romans 13:14

No comments:

Post a Comment